LGBTQ Support in Lethbridge

Sociology Project

We are conducting a Sociology research project for our Social Problems class. We will be focusing on LGBTQ community and supports such as the University of Lethbridge Pride Club, Women's Center and the College Pride Club. We are hoping to confront the social issues that impact this population and gain insight into the organizations aimed to aid with the conflicts they face.

Monday 17 March 2014

My Experience As a Catholic HighSchooler

This story about my experience is greatly attributed to my great friend who will remain anonymous.

Some background information would be that I grew up in the Catholic School System, because of its religion background all students are required to take some form of religious studies. In high school it was a requirement for graduation. 

This again is the story of my friend whom I will always love and support. 

While in the midst of doing biology homework my phone went off. One of my best friends was calling, knowing he should have been in class, I assumed it was an emergency. While picking up the phone my friend was on the other line all I could hear was crying, after expressing my concern, he proceed to tell me that he had just "come out" in front of the whole religion class. I told him how excited I was for him and how proud I was for the fact that he finally came out. After finally realising I had heard crying I proceed to leave my class and run to his, because coming from a strong catholic school I assumed someone had made fun of him. When I got to the class and he was sitting outside with a wild, empowered look in his eye. I asked him what had happened and he said our religion teacher had proceeded to not acknowledge what he had said and that he thought it was important that they pray in silence the rest of the class. He described his face as being "defeated, ashamed, and saddened." My friend didn't care. He knew he had done the right thing. After that day some teachers were a little awkward with him but students continued to treat him the same. He continues to be supported by those who care and love him. 

Standing up for who you are is important. Do not fear prosecution you will always have those behind you who love and support you. Be yourself.


xxxxx 
Kimberly 

No comments:

Post a Comment