LGBTQ Support in Lethbridge

Sociology Project

We are conducting a Sociology research project for our Social Problems class. We will be focusing on LGBTQ community and supports such as the University of Lethbridge Pride Club, Women's Center and the College Pride Club. We are hoping to confront the social issues that impact this population and gain insight into the organizations aimed to aid with the conflicts they face.

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Interview with University student



Age: 21
Gender you identify as: Male
Sexual Orientation you identify with: Homosexual

1) What are your opinions on pride parades and other community events used to support LGBT?
A: I think that pride parades celebrate differences between us and when you’re fighting for equality pointing out differences isn’t always the best idea, I guess. If you’re fighting for equality then there should also be a straight parade or there shouldn’t be a parade at all. And in Lethbridge, I don’t’ think I’ve ever been to the parade here, I don’t even know if there is one.

2) Do you know someone in your life who is a supporter/member of the LGBT community? If so how is your relationship with that person?
A: Almost everyone I associate with is a supporter or member, so the relationships are good.

3) How do you feel about homophobia? How does homophobia affect you?
A: I guess my dad is the only homophobic I know here but it doesn’t really affect me.

4) How do you feel about public displays of affection between two people of the same sex?
A: Public displays of affection in general gross me out, it  has nothing to do with if it’s the same sex or not.

5) What is your standpoint on same-sex marriage? If you do not support, explain why.
A: I just don’t support…marriage in general. It’s not necessarily same sex marriage but any kind.

6) Do you support adoption by same sex couples? If not, explain why.
A: Yea if parents want to be parents, that’s up to them. I don’t think it’s a bad idea. I don’t think there’s anything to say about it. 

7) If one of your family members would want to undergo a sex change or gender re-assignment what would your opinion be?
A: I know people who are transgender and it doesn’t really bother me. When I first came out of the closet I thought it would bother me, but it doesn’t. 

8) If you are in the LGBT community please explain how your "coming out" felt (this may be to other people and/or coming out to yourself). What resources did you turn to, if any?
A: I had an awesome teacher in high school that I turned to, and a best friend who was also coming out so that was awesome. And I had some really good friends who didn’t care at all, my coming out was good but I know lots of people who’s coming out was hard. No organizations. 

9) If you are in the LGBT community please explain the reaction your parents and close family members gave you after expressing your sexuality.
A: My dad has always really sucked about it, he lives here in Lethbridge. My mom was really good about it, she said she knew forever.

10) Do you feel people treated you differently when you came out or if they treat you differently now? If so, explain how?
A: Yea, in some cases. It’s more like people I’ve never met, can. If they’ve never met a gay person before it’s a bunch of stupid questions that (laughs) you never really wanna answer.

11) Do you feel that because of your sexual orientation that you are discriminated against?
A: No, not really. Maybe a little bit….were in southern Alberta. I don’t’ feel particularly discriminated against.

12) Do you feel that in Lethbridge there is a support system for you or any sort of community? Explain.
A: I know there are other gay people here but I don’t hang out with or know them. I’ve never needed support here.

No comments:

Post a Comment