LGBTQ Support in Lethbridge

Sociology Project

We are conducting a Sociology research project for our Social Problems class. We will be focusing on LGBTQ community and supports such as the University of Lethbridge Pride Club, Women's Center and the College Pride Club. We are hoping to confront the social issues that impact this population and gain insight into the organizations aimed to aid with the conflicts they face.

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Interview With Female Univeristy Student


Age: 24

Gender you identify as: Female

Sexual Orientation you identify with: Lesbian

1) What is your opinion on the LBGTQ community?
I strongly dislike the LGBTQ community I find it cliquey and dramatic.

2) What are your opinions on pride parades and other community events used to support LGBT?
Community events and parades are needed social tools to help LGBTQ persons feel like part of the community.

3) Do you know someone in your life who is a supporter/member of the LGBT community? If so how is your relationship with that person?
Everyone in my life is a supporter of equal rights, if they don’t support it they have no place in my life.

4) How do you feel about homophobia? How does homophobia affect you?
Homophobia is disgusting and practiced by uneducated people, it doesn't affect me because I'm bigger than it.

5) How do you feel about public displays of affection between two people of the same sex?
PDA between two same sex people bothers me just as much as PDA between same sex couples.

6) What is your standpoint on same-sex marriage? If you do not support, explain why.
I support it because I support all aspects of equal rights.

7) Do you support adoption by same sex couples? If not, explain why.
Yes I do. Same sex couples plan to have kids and give them loving homes. Same sex couples are more likely to adopt kids with special needs more so then opposite sex couples.

8) If you have a friend in the same-sex community can you explain how others outside of the community react?
Strangers are normally homophobic towards them.

9) If one of your family members would want to undergo a sex change or gender re-assignment what would your opinion be?
I would be okay with it because I love them for who they are, not what parts they have.

10) If you are in the LGBT community please explain how your "coming out" felt (this may be to other people and/or coming out to yourself). What resources did you turn to, if any?
Coming out was the absolute worst experience of my life. There were no resources available for me in Lethbridge.

11) If you are in the LGBT community please explain the reaction your parents and close family members gave you after expressing your sexuality.
My father told me he didn’t want lesbians in his house and my mom didn’t talk to me for 5 years.

12) Do you feel people treat you differently? If so, explain how?
No.

13) Do you feel that because of your sexual orientation that you are discriminated against?
Only in high school.

14) Do you feel that in Lethbridge there is a support system or community for you? Explain.
No. When kids come out as teenagers or younger the school systems do not have anything. If you are older you can go to support meetings or events.

No comments:

Post a Comment