LGBTQ Support in Lethbridge

Sociology Project

We are conducting a Sociology research project for our Social Problems class. We will be focusing on LGBTQ community and supports such as the University of Lethbridge Pride Club, Women's Center and the College Pride Club. We are hoping to confront the social issues that impact this population and gain insight into the organizations aimed to aid with the conflicts they face.

Friday 14 March 2014

Interview with University of Lethbridge student



Age: 23

Gender you identify as: Male

Sexual Orientation you identify with: Homosexual

1) What is your opinion on the LBGTQ community?
A: My view is positive. I support everything the community does to support and create equality for all.

2) What are your opinions on pride parades and other community events used to support LGBT?
A: Positive for the most part. I feel they should only happen where it’s widely accepted instead of forcing it on a small town like Lethbridge, where homosexuality isn’t accepted. Events are okay universally, I would say events aren’t as in your face as say, a parade, would be.

3) Do you know someone in your life who is a supporter/member of the LGBT community? If so how is your relationship with that person?
A: I only keep people in my life that support it as my identity as a big part of who I am. There are people where I'm unaware of their support or they are unaware of me, but they are acquaintances.

4) How do you feel about homophobia? How does homophobia affect you?
A: I feel everyone has a right to their own opinion but I don't feel its right to judge others or treat other differently because of one’s own opinion. Everyone should be treated equally. Homophobia affected me at a younger age but I'm much more confident in who I am. I think people can see that so it doesn't happen often anymore, except maybe at the bar where the majority of people are intoxicated males.

5) How do you feel about public displays of affection between two people of the same sex?
A: I think PDA in general should be kept to a minimum.

6) What is your standpoint on same-sex marriage? If you do not support, explain why.
A: I do support it. Personally I'm not sure if I myself would get married just because I don't see much of a point.

7) Do you support adoption by same sex couples? If not, explain why.
A: Yes I do support it. I feel that regardless if it is a straight or gay couple, adoption is helping change a child’s life for the better. If anything, a same sex couple could create a positive and less judgmental outlook on life.

8) If you have a friend in the same-sex community can you explain how others outside of the community react.
A: In my life, its a normal thing. I have lots of gay friends and lots of straight friends and they all accept each other.

9) If one of your family members would want to undergo a sex change or gender re-assignment what would your opinion be?
A: This is where my opinion gets tricky. I would still love them as a brother or sister and I don't think that would go away. However I don't know if I agree with going through sex changes. I’m on the fence about this one. I’ve met some amazing people who have had a sex change and I don't treat them differently. I just don't think I understand fully and don't know if I ever will. I feel like it’s something only the individual can begin to understand and be brave enough to do.

10) If you are in the LGBT community please explain how your "coming out" felt (this may be to other people and/or coming out to yourself). What resources did you turn to, if any?
A: When I first came out to my family, it was difficult and there were definitely tears. They were more than accepting and reassured me nothing had changed so it was good to have such a supportive family. As for my friends it was easy because they had the assumption already and it was more just me accepting myself. I started out as coming out as bisexual to help soften the blow to my self-esteem and then fully admitted to myself when I was comfortable with I am.

11) If you are in the LGBT community please explain the reaction your parents and close family members gave you after expressing your sexuality.
A: The only person I actually verbally came out to in my family was my mother and she was 100% okay with it. As for my other family, it was sort of just word of mouth and didn't notice a change at all. I’m pretty sure they all questioned my sexuality anyways.

12) Do you feel people treat you differently? If so, explain how?
A: Not for the most part. I think when guys meet me for the first time they are taken sort of off guard but I've been told by many straight males that I have helped them be comfortable with homosexuality and really helped them accept homosexuality. Besides that I don't notice any special treatment or being turned away because of my sexual preference.

13) Do you feel that because of your sexual orientation that you are discriminated against?
A: In a whole I feel that yes homosexuality is discriminated against and that would include me. Me as a person I haven't been discriminated against personally but I feel discriminated against in the sense that every other homosexual has been such as same sex marriages or Prop8, etc.

14) Do you feel that in Lethbridge there is a community or support system for you? Explain.
A: I feel there is less support than there is support. We have a small gay community and a very red neck, conservative city. I have all the support I feel I need through my friends and family but Lethbridge has been a hard place to grow up as a homosexual. There are small support groups but for someone who might not be comfortable with themselves and can't admit to themselves… I would say there is a lack of support either because they don't want to find it or because they are scared. I would say majority of the homosexuals in Lethbridge, over good 50% of them, are still in the closet because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment